SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vermont05658

Truck & Trailer

vermont05658
17 years ago

All the numbers and all the acronyms have me confused. I have a 1999 454 Chevy dually crew cab with heavy duty trailering package. I'm trying to match to a suitable flatbed gooseneck. The manufacuter's label says the truck has a GVWR of 10,000lbs. The truck weighs 6640lbs. The GVWR of the rear axle is 7500lb. From what I remember when we ordered the truck, it had a GCVWR of 23000lbs. If the GVWR of the truck is 10000lbs. and the truck weighs 6640 that would seem to mean that the truck could handle a fifth wheel with a "bed" weight of around 3360lbs. Assuming the weight of a gooseneck trailer is distrubited evenly on the trailer's axles and the rear axle of the truck, that would seem to indicate that the GVWR of the trailer would be 6.7K (2 times 3360), basically a 3 ton trailer. This obviously is wrong, but I don't really understand trailer dynamics. Should I assume that the truck can "bed" its rear axle GVWR, meaning it could handle a trailer with a GVWR of 15000 (twice the 7500 GVWR of its rear axle)? Or, since the GCVWR (weight of vehicle towing, plus vehicle/trailer towed, plus weight of cargo) is 23000, does that mean the it can tow a 16000lb trailer (23000 minus 6640 - the unladened weight of the truck). The answers all seem logical, but some are obviously absurd. Given what I've described of the truck, can any one point me in the right direction of how large (trailer GVWR of 10k, 12k, 14k?) of a flatbed gooseneck I can mate with my truck?

Comment (1)