SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
naturenut_ohio

A Couple General Gardening Questions

naturenut_ohio
14 years ago

Our vegetable garden is brand new this year we added partially composted leaves and was told we may have to add nitrogen as it would be taken to break down the leaves.. So far it really seems like nothing is growing, the veggies do not look unhealthy just kind of staying the same size. Should I add some type of organic fertilizer to give them a boost? I did have a soil test done this spring and found I was low on phosphate and potash.

My next question, do you want to add any fertilizer when things are in bloom or starting to fruit such as broccoli and cauliflower?

Last question, after my spring crops are done I assume I will really need to beef up my raised rows to plant in again for summer and fall.. Will an all purpose organic fertilizer work? I do have a bit of compost but not alot and some aged cow manure with partially broken down wood shavings and of course more of the partially composted leaves..

I really want to use only organic fertilizers and ammendments..

I have one more question sorry.. I have plastic on 6 of my raised rows for peppers and tomatoes.. I have a soaker hose under each of them.. How big should I make the holes to plant in so the plants can receive some rain water and should I put small holes in the plastic to allow rain water to get through?

Thanks so much,

Amy

Comments (4)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH