SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lanicoya

Begginer; Just a couple questions about pot gardening.

lanicoya
14 years ago

I'm a first timer. I live in zone 8 (Southern California in Los Angeles County). Where i live it gets very windy, i don't know if that will affect my planting. I am planning to plant in pots but there are some things i still need to know. I planted some tomato (3 kinds), green onion and basil seeds, i have seedlings that are about 3-4in already, their true leaves are growing in nice. I will transplant those.

My questions is, when i go to the store, since i will be putting them in pots, what soil should i buy to use? Potting soil? Do i need to mix it with another kind of soil or some compost? I have a Vegetable & Veggie soil right now. As for fertilizer, what would be best to buy for what I'm planning to plant?

My 2010 Growing List:

1- Tomato

2- Cilantro

3- Carrots

4- Bell Peppers (a mix of hybrids)

5- Yellow Hot Peppers

6- Green Onion

7- Strawberries

My strawberries are going to come bare root (25 plants), i wanted to know how big of a pot i should use and how many i can plant in that pot. As for the carrots, i will plant those in the ground.

Thanks in advance to any helpful answers. I'm a beginner so i know i will ask a lot of questions, do a lot of research and learn from experience, but I'm exited!

Comments (3)