SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
georgia_belle_gw

Ideas for foundation of a 70's contemporary ranch

georgia_belle
18 years ago

I usually just look and learn on this site but now I find myself needing some ideas. Any help would be appreciated. My husband and I recently bought a house built in 1972. It is one of the long ranch styles that has the big square that sits awkwardly in front because of a sunken living room. No windows in the square except 2 triangluar ones at the top. I plan to add one on each side of the chimney but it may be a while. Right now there is an uncared for Ligustrum in front of it and it needs to go. The house sits in the middle of a hill and slopes gradually to the right and front. It was not very well thought out and has a steep ditch with a driveway on each end of the lot. We plan to fill in the ditch with the appropriate drainage pipe and fill it in with dirt and make a single driveway that circles in the front and also winds to the back where we park. The only trees in the front are some enormous pines that have to come down. Right after we bought the house last year a tornado spawned off of one of the hurricanes skipped across the whole yard and we lost two of them. The rest were shaken so badly that they now have pine beetles. There is a single dogwood tree in front that is dying and has to be taken down too. This will leave me with no trees in front at all. I will have essentially a blank slate. I plan to buy the biggest trees I can afford to plant this winter. The whole place had not been taken care of in years and we had to remove all of the foundation plantings. It wasn't a big loss because all that was there was some scraggly boxwoods that were planted about 4 feet from the house and some spreading liriope. There is also a spot on the right side between the house and asphalt drive that has another overgrown ligustrum, some old Schillings holly and a Lady Banks rose. I've always gardened and I know about plants but two years ago I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia and need something that is simple to care for. I am wondering about what to put in the large space between the porch and the window and especially what to do with the ugly box in the front where the ligustrum is. The house faces north and is about 100 feet from the street. I want the end result to be shady and natural because we are on the edge of a huge plantation and have lots of wild life. I have (hopefully)included some pics but I couldn't get the whole house in one shot. I tried to post them here but never could get them small enough so I have included a link. If anyone has experience with this kind of situation please throw some ideas my way. Thanks!

http://community.webshots.com/album/466877917iSyWPQ

Comments (13)