SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
moon_child_gw

Discuss the plant selections for our yard, please

moon_child
17 years ago

DH and I are amending the soil and slowly adding vegetation to our corner lot. This was Iowa farmland developed into a typical subdivision, so it's a really BLANK slate. We've been concentrating on getting trees and bushes into the ground with a very general idea of what needs to be screened (other houses, the neighborhood's & on-coming car's view into our entire backyard, kitchen, and family room), and where we can "borrow the view" (the neighbor's birch tree and the area of sky down the road where we view beautiful sunsets).

In the northeast corner of the lot (front yard, diagonal from the garage), I'd like to begin a bed that will eventually develop into the side garden with a pathway and shade-loving perennials. However, for the moment, I want to distinquish the property boundary as well as comply with the city's requirement for "a tree in the front yard."

To that end, I was looking through some pre-made garden bed plans for inspiration, searching for something that wouldn't look stupid, as though arbitrary plants were dumped from a truck in the middle of a yard and ringed with stone. I found something with a shape that I like, but I don't understand the plants that were selected or their placement.

The plants are laid out in an "L" shape, 2 rows deep, with a leg along the property line and the other leg along the sidewalk. The orignal plan called for an Amur Maple placed about 10' in from each leg, surrounded by 4 Goldflame Spirea at the tip of the east leg (planted in a square shape), 4 Gro Low Sumac (2 on the east leg and 2 on the north, making up the corner), followed by 2 Blue Star Juniper, and three Anthony Waterer Spirea on the outer row, 4 Blue Star Juniper on the inner row, and 3 Crimson Pygmy Japanese Barberry on the innermost row of the corner.

I don't understand the Blue Star Juniper. Why use this plant? It seems that the color, height and placement are all wrong for this grouping. What do you think?

Additionally, we decided to use a Prairiefire crabapple in place of the Maple (the price was right), so now I feel as though there will be WAY too much RED in the fall color (burgundy tree, red sumac, red spirea, burgundy/purple barberry (hate the barberry. They are used a LOT around here). However, once more plants are in the side garden, maybe it will be ok. What do you think?

Finally, we have been given a bur oak tree, which, I understand, can grow to be a monster of a tree! I'd love to plant it, but I'm wondering if it would simply overwhelm our suburban lot. The lot is slightly pie-shaped and measures 88'x158'x125'x143 (West/North/East/South). We could plant the tree along the southern side of the lot where it would shade our family room. It would also eventually shade MOST of our backyard. I've drawn our lot to scale and cut-out a template for the eventual diameter of the tree, and man it looks BIG. I just don't know. I'd sure like the opinion of some of you that do this for a living!

Moon

Here is a link that might be useful: Photos of our house and lot--page 4

Comments (9)