SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jat1737_gw

Part-time farming?

jat1737
14 years ago

I was raised on a large farm and dairy operation and watched my parents work from sun up to sun down, plus the hours put in by numerous hired hands. It was a hard life that left little time for outside interests or vacations. That discouraged me from even thinking I would want that kind of life. I have been a city girl for 30 years, but am now wanting to move back to what is left of the family farm. We have about 300 acres of good bermuda and I am wondering what my husband and I could raise without having a lot of experience (except in sound business practices)? We own a business that my husband would still be actively involved in about 40 minutes from the farm. I have one son still at home that I homeschool, but we would only be staying at the farm on a part-time basis. Basically, I am hoping I could work at it a few days a week and perhaps seasonally. Any ideas? Encouragement? BTW, we are about 10 years from retirement, so not too interested in starting a big operation, unless the kids get interested. :-)

Comments (8)