SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alexmac13_gw

Professional Advice for an Aspiring Landscape Designer

alexmac13
9 years ago

I have so many questions and I'm not sure where to begin. I'm looking for advice on becoming a professional Landscape Designer and any input is welcome. I am a 21 year old living in Michigan. I have experience with plants and I'm currently working as a plant merchandiser for a plant vending company with a contract through lowes hardware. I create the displays and put out featured products. I pull plants past bloom or with diseases. I help answer general questions about our perennials and annuals, as well as houseplants, succulents, cacti, bonsais, etc. I also worked for a renowned greenhouse and helped with seed and cutting planting, pruning, and sales. When I'm not working I am constantly reading about gardening and looking at landscape design books. I am very creative and currently go to school for psychology. I only have a few college credits and was apprehensive to proceed with my major. After a lot of thought I have decided to pursue my master gardening certification and I want to get my bachelors in Landscape Design. The reason I don't want to go into Horticulture is because I am more creative and I have little interest in chemistry or biology or intense sciences. I do a lot of my own gardening including ornamental and native gardening and organic vegetable gardening. I even built my own cold frames and raised beds and I'm looking into greenhouse design. My long term goals would be working for a botanical garden or founding my own garden or landscape design company focused on sustainable gardening and small scale agriculture.

I can't go to Michigan State because of distance and my current student status but I found out that oakland community college has an associates degree program in landscape design or landscape horticulture and an online program through the university of art academy offering a bachelors in arts in landscape design. Do you think an associates degree is sufficient in today's competitive job market? Or should I pursue my online bachelors degree? Any advice to get started? What are my most valuable educational opportunities?

Comments (14)

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals