SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rufusthecat_gw

Moving. NY to SoCal. Help me find a town!

rufusthecat
15 years ago

Hi all,

I will be moving to the SoCal area from Long Island NY in January and I'm wondering a couple of things.

1. Where is the best place to live for gardeners? I'm looking for proximity to great nurseries (wholesale&retail), like-minded individuals, great public gardens, design oriented community.

2. I've been looking online at houses and notice that the lots are tiny (by LI, NY standards). In what SoCal town am I likely to find a house that has the potential to grow an interesting garden on more than a 1/4 acres (for less than $1.2M dollars - also safe and family friendly).

3. I am an independent landscape designer here in NY and tend to work on large properties w/sizable budgets. Usually over $150K and up to $500K. Is it likely that I can continue to do this in CA? With lots being so small...I'm curious.

Thanks for all and any advice you can give. (I currently have a good sized house (3000sqft) with a professional office for my business attached. We live on .65 of an acre with a pool walking dist to the ocean. This will be hard to give up, but winters won't be!!!) I'm looking forward to the move!

Comments (12)