SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wannabeturk

Spacing for raised bed garden

wannabeturk
13 years ago

Hi all - moved into a new house last summer and tried doing a small garden in the backyard with mixed results. I think I had problems with not great soil, and also a decent amount of roots from a nearby tree which may have impeded the growth. I thought this year I would try again but this time with a raised garden bed.

Last weekend I built a 4'x8'x10" garden bed and will be ordering a nice soil-compost mix to go in sometime this week. I think a yard is more than enough for this space based on what I've read online.

My question is about spacing - and how much can I plant in there. My main goal is to grow some nice tomato plants in there - probably best boy, better boy, or one of those varieties. I'm hoping I can get 3 or 4 in one row. Is that enough space?

The other things I'd like to grow are some flat beans and sugar snap peas - which I know nothing about but have successfully started some sprout indoors already. I don't know if they are pole, bush, how much room I should allot for, or how many plants I should plant for a decent harvest. I also have a kirby cucumber plant sprouted already.

Does anyone have any suggestions for the best way to lay these out and maybe what else I can add in that space? It gets a good amount of sunlight from about 2pm or 3pm on for the rest of the day.

Also, I'd like to try to plant some herbs in between - parsley, etc.

Any other tips also appreciated!

Thanks!

Comments (9)