SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
angiebyte

Help :-( My garden is being taken over by mushrooms

angiebyte
12 years ago

On the advice of a freind who is very into organic and squarefoot gardening, (his girlfriend does this for a living) I used cotton burr compost to add to my garden.

The husband built 4 raised beds:

One for flowers, 8x4 got half a bag of compost. Doing ok. Not alot came up but sunflowers and a few wild.

Two raised beds for potatoes- 4x4, about half a bag each.

One raised bed for veggie garden, 8x4 got about two bags in this bed, and THIS is the bed that is giving us endless MUSHROOM issues.

When preparing the veggie bed we removed the grass and weeds with a flat shovel, sunk the bed, and proceeded to dig in these two bags of compost to a depth af 6 or more inches. I think we added about three inches of compost on top and hand dug it all in. This was the directions we followed.

So in this small bed, we planted one smaller bush tomato, one pepper, a few onions and two squash, and two trellis worth of climbing beans. I know it sounds like alot but it looks well spaced.

The bed gets a little morning sun, then shade until about 2, then full sun till about 7 right now.

We have red, clay soil. It doesn't drain well (dug a hole and watched how long till it drained. ) But we have also had alot of rain.....plants seem to be doing fine. But theres these dang mushrooms everywhere. Long tall slimey ones. The other beds get the same amt of sun and water but have no mushroom activity. The mushrooms seem to ge growing out of the compost only (theres sort of like clumps in a few places).

We dig them out but the next day they are back. They are growing up through the plants and we cant get them out in those locations without disturbing the roots.

Why do you think this compost is getting us so many mushrooms? How do we get rid of them? I tried turning parts of the soil to expose the spores to full sun, hoping to kill them. I tried digging them out but probably just spread the spores more.

Any advice you have for this newbie is gratefull.

No, we did not do a soil test- we live in OK and I know its pure red clay, haha.

Comments (22)