SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tomacco_gw

Garden Progress OR Weed Attack Defended OR Asparagus Bed Question

tomacco
14 years ago

I was about a week behind on weeding, and then had to spend a week in Minnesota on work, on short notice, and it was... weed emergency mode when I got back. It rained + was sunny every day, and the avg temperature jumped 10F. As a result, everything (including weeds) grew like CRAZY. Some plants more than quadrupled in size. Did not expect that. had to get out there fast before the weeds took over. All the grass/weeds that were in the soil just regrew from the roots like nothing ever happened to them (tilling).

Before, weeds taking over:

{{gwi:55735}}

In Progress:

{{gwi:55737}}

{{gwi:55739}}

Asparagus Trench weeded, lined and filled with (composted) poo. The trench was about a foot deep originally, composted manure at the bottom (I know, it shoulda only been 6 inches, I didn't know until later), and had only been filled to 6" with dirt. Figure the manure will give it good growth, its 0.5/0.5/0.5.

Question: Now that one/two shoots per root set that I planted have come up... should I expect more this year? In other words... is my fabric/newspaper/mulch barrier going to mess up more new asparagus shoots this year? If so, I'll have to move the barriers back a bit.

{{gwi:55741}}

{{gwi:55742}}

After everything was weeded out by hand with a trowel and gloves doing detail work, covered with newspapers between plants, and landscape fabric between rows it looks like this. Still got to cover the paper/fabric with mulch, and probably thicken the newspapers (someone just told me that 2 thick is not enough). Until I get mulch later this week I'm keeping it watered twice a day to keep the newspaper from blowing off.

{{gwi:55743}}

{{gwi:55744}}

This is Zucchini on Steroids... this thing was {{gwi:55745}}

This is my lone eggplant. It was almost dead, eaten more than not, bugs all over it and the uneaten leaves dying. I hit it with Sevin. First time I've had to use pesticide :( Wish I'd caught it sooner, will be using dilute soap on it once it recovers, hope thats enough.

{{gwi:55746}}

This is the area I am planting for sunflowers and corn / beans (in the back). I roundup'd it two weeks ago, and just roundup'd what remains again. Next week I'm going to till the whole thing with a rental tractor and towed tiller, then have my neighbor run an aggressive toothed disk harrow over it. Then plant it, 10K sq. feet of sunflowers and 3K sq feet of Silver Queen corn followed 3 weeks by Kentucky Wonder bush beans and a few Limas (gonna run em up the corn, I love the symbiosis aspect).

I want to plow it up deep, but nobody has a plow anymore. Rental place doesn't have one, nor do any of the farmers around here. I don't think its common around here to reclaim new land for farming, which is the only time you need a real plow. Will check with extension office though, they may know some place to get one.

{{gwi:55747}}

Tiller Bonus Shot! This thing is great for the garden, but no match for a half acre. I love this thing, though. My father has a warehouse for his business, and his partner is in the habit of taking old machinery from fields and rebuilding them. This thing is an old top of the line model from I think Husqvarna or someone. Puts any tiller I see in the store to shame, and they got it for nothing and restored it. Need to sharpen the blades though:

{{gwi:55748}}

Comment (1)