SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
atmoscat

Where should I put an ornamental tree?

atmoscat
9 years ago

Hi all, I posted a while back about screening plants for the back of my yard. Now I have a new project (new house (to us), lots of landscaping projects underway.) I was at a garden store today, and saw a great deal on a tree I've been coveting, a 'The Rising Sun' redbud. The question is, where should I put it, or, if there's no good spot now, should I just wait? I have read that redbuds don't like being moved, so I'd like to make sure I put it in the right place.

The pic below is a composite of the back of my house (trying to follow the picture guidelines - sorry, not sure why the middle part turned out so dark.) The back facade is pretty tall, and I feel like it could use some taller plantings somewhere, but I'm not exactly sure where. The two spots I have in mind for the redbud are either at the far right corner between the bay window and the porch, or at the far left, between the little door in the barn foundation and the window.

I would consider putting it at the front corner of the barn, except that the long term plan is to build a retaining wall there that would extend along the existing driveway so that we can get rid of the big bump in the grade at the barn door (hatched area on photo). So, anything I plant there would have to be moved later. (Part of the long term plan is also to move the parking over to the right side so there won't be cars blocking the way from the patio to the yard.)

I would love to get your suggestions for an overall scheme for the back or even a sketch, so I can get an idea of where a tree might be needed. (I also plan to put climbers on trellises for height around the patio area.)

The depth of the bed on the right side of the house is 9'. The redbud is supposed to reach 10-12' H x 10-15' W, so maybe there's not enough space. That spot gets afternoon sun. The spot in front of the barn has plenty of space but I don't think it gets as much sun.

Thanks!!

Comments (15)