SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
runktrun

Us vs Them

runktrun
16 years ago

A recent post by yet another individual who was convinced that any one they hired to work on their home/landscape was without a doubt going to do a lousy job for an unfair price has provoked me to share some thoughts from the other side of the coin with the hope of representing a fair balance in the us vs them battle between the home owner and the service industry.

In my world of McMansions vs Service over the years I have determined that we have all learned (probably before kindergarten) how to manipulate others to get what we want the list below includes a few classifications of personality types that I have been putting together.

Mr. & Mrs Dismissive - yes, you have been doing work for me for twenty seven years but whatÂs your name again?

The Carrot Hanger-IÂll gladly pay you tomorrow if you buy me a hamburger today.

The Out and Out Liar-I called your office ten times last week and was told you would be here.

The Best Friend- Hi its George you and I have never spoken before but you wouldnÂt mind dropping everything and coming over to do my work because we are best friends.

The Whiner- high pitched almost baby like voice "CanÂt you come any sooner I really wonÂt be able to cope if you donÂt"

The Most Important Person in the World-I am so important you must run right over at the slightest suggestion I might need something done. Please be clear that for this privilege you can never speak directly to me even if we are in the same room, only with my assistant. With the exception of a situation that I have defined as an emergency you must only come to my home when I am not here and if I am around do not expect any eye contact or nod of the head because you are not worth the effort. (Admittedly not many of these but trust me they exist).

The Name or Address Dropper-my property is so special certainly you would jump at the opportunity to do my work. I am friends with Mr important so surely you will want to drop everything just to be close to me.

Mr. & Mrs Helpless- I have never had to do anything for myself so even if I wanted to try (which I donÂt) I wouldnÂt be able to ever help myself with lifeÂs smallest details without your assistance.

Mr &Mrs Know It All-Please come over and do my work but let me tell you how to do it and at the same time become so involved in the project that it becomes a disaster..oh and by the way let me tell you how to better run your business. Can anyone else add to the list?

kt

Comments (9)