SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
suprneko

plastic bin lid as root barrier?

suprneko
11 years ago

I need to add a root barrier along a fence. The area I want to plant is about 6' long but the problem appears to be just one plant (I peeked thru the slats and it looks like an agapanthus), so I think I can make do with blocking a 3' spot and the roots look close to the surface to 6" down (although I haven't dug down deeper yet).

I saw mentions of using corrugated metal roofing as a root barrier. This sounds good but cutting it to size will be a problem for me, also it won't fit in my compact car. I'm thinking fabric type block is not going to work, the roots will just push against it as the soil will be loose.

I do have a plastic wrapping paper storage bin that has a cracked bottom corner. I was considering using it as a container for mint or something, anyway the lid (not cracked) is the right size that I need for the root blocker - around 3' x 1.5'.

Are there any drawbacks to using a rigid piece of plastic like this? Is it going to degrade quickly in the ground? Does it matter if I bury all of it or leave some of it sticking out above soil level? Any other suggestions for a root barrier that isn't costly and I can get locally?

Thanks!

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz