SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rnewste

My Tomato Patch November 1 and Combo-Mix Update (pics)

rnewste
14 years ago

Well, here we are on November 1, and it hit 80 degrees here in N. California today. My second planting of the season is doing petty well. The Brandywine and N.A.R.X. are now 7 ft. tall and loaded with tomatoes:

{{gwi:54875}}

As expected in my combo-mix trials, the plants in plain Miracle-Gro are "leggy" with the lower branches dying off earlier than I would like:

{{gwi:28759}}

So far, the Cherokee Purple is loving a ratio of 3:2:1 Miracle-Gro, Bark Fines, and Perlite. Not a dead branch from bottom to top! Too soon to declare this the winning mix-combo, but so far, it is looking quite promising.

{{gwi:38097}}

Carmello planted on August 8 in a 2:2:1:1 ratio of Sta-Green, Cactus Mix, Turface, and Perlite is also looking fine:

{{gwi:54876}}

The tomatoes are starting to blush, so just about 90 days from plant-out should be about right:

{{gwi:54878}}

Indian Stripe in a 5:1:1 ratio of Miracle-Gro, Turface, and Perlite is also doing well:

{{gwi:54880}}

{{gwi:54882}}

The Goose Creek I planted in Pro-Mix BX on Sept 11 are developing well:

{{gwi:54884}}

I have another 6 Champion plants in various ratios of Sta-Green, Bark Fines, and Perlite put in on August 22, so we'll see which ratio turns out best in a few months:

{{gwi:54886}}

The Yolo Wonder Peppers are now about 45 inches high and are quite productive:

{{gwi:54889}}

I am trialing various combo-mixes on the Peppers as well. Here a 3:2:2 ratio of Miracle-Gro, Bark Fines and Perlite on the left 2 plants, and the same ratio of Miracle-Gro, Redwood Compost, and Perlite on the right. Notice any difference?

{{gwi:54891}}

Here are 2 Corn-Tainers with the one on the left a 4:1:1 ratio of Miracle-Gro, Cactus Mix, and Perlite. The one on the right a same ratio but with Miracle-Gro, Bark Fines, and Perlite. Conclusion: trash the Cactus Mix:

{{gwi:54892}}

I'll post an update in about 30 days and hopefully, we will have lots of tomatoes for the neighborhood with their Thanksgiving dinner.

Raybo

Comments (19)