SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
iam3killerbs

Filling in the Holes

iam3killerbs
14 years ago

As always, I had some places where seeds failed to germinate (though at least one of everything I planted grew -- something I can't say every year). So today was filling in the holes day.

One hill of Minnesota Midget came up and the other didn't. Replanted the empty hill with more Minnesota Midget.

The Black Diamond and Moon and Stars watermelon suffered from poor germination with only 1 out of 5 seeds per hill germinating. Added 3 more seeds to each under-populated hill.

1 out of 10 Eureka and County Fair cucumbers failed to come up (pretty good for last year's seed). Only 1 out of 10 of a 2008 Shumway Experimental freebie came up. Planted Insuk's Wang Kong runner beans in the empty spots. It will be too tall for my cucumber trellis, but I haven't a place for another trellis this year.

The Scarlett Runner beans failed outrageously with only 1 of 20 germinating. Replanted in Scarlett Runner from an ancient batch that I saved in (IIRC), 2000. If that fails I think I have some old pole Roma's to use. I didn't want to put the Insuk beans in with the regular ones in case of crossing.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz