SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
prairiedawnpam_gw

Curb Appeal Plantings for 3b Victorian Cottage

prairiedawnpam
13 years ago

Hi. I'm new to this forum. I've jumped over from the decor area because I need front yard help. Our house and TEENY front garden are a work in progress. This is how we bought the house:

{{gwi:45584}}

The house is placed far forward on the lot. The only lawn is from the edge of the "dry creek" to the sidewalk on the left. The stones are Montana Rainbow:

{{gwi:45585}}

I am debating if the rock should come out entirely or just be softened by a flower bed. We did just plant an Evans Cherry in that bit of lawn, but I'm not sure if its going to live (we didn't prep our clay soil well enough).

The driveway was extended to the right by the previous owners. We may take the extension out to remove some of the hardness of the landscape. If we do, what should go there? Lawn? Evergreens? Pots?

This is Hubby's vision for our house (it needs tweaking, but its a start):

{{gwi:45586}}

A friend did this for me and its a bit different:

{{gwi:45587}}

Our front yard "view" is of the cul-de-sac street we live on. Neighbourhood kids play street hockey year 'round. We don't use that piece of lawn at all.

My questions are:

- Is there an evergreen that might survive the winter in a porch planter in my 3b zone?

- What evergreens would have a columnar (preferred) or globe shape and maximum height of 4 ft? (I want fewer than Hubby drew and shorter heights.)

- Does it matter that we don't have a front walkway? We just use the driveway.

- Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance!

...Pam

Comments (10)