SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bobboberan

I want to discuss Jerusalem Artichokes

bobboberan
14 years ago

Okay my curiosity has gone through the roof about these roots what I know is there was a time when they were grown and eaten more frequently than potatos and with good reason they are much hardier grow better and are more abundant than the potato and during hard times fed alot of people eventually they were passed off for the potato again and rarely do you even hear of the Jerusalem Artichoke or Sunchoke anymore , although they are not potatos they are treated the same way and used raw in salads or fried in olive oil with onions and refered to as a nice snack just steamed with butter or used in all sorts of recipes . Of course I've never tried them but am quite cuious can they replace the potato ? The other thing I read is if you plant them you better expect them to be there forever because they don't stop growing , farmers avoid them because once they're in the ground you won't get rid of them .I would plant them in a very large container of some kind I'm just interested to know if they're worth it as a food eat often or to replace the potato because of their no care growth pattern and much easier to dig up and pick than the potato. Sorry that was long winded but if they are able to replace the potato then its something worth doing ..........

Comments (8)