SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jadet18

Garden struggling in AZ

10 years ago

Hello all,

I started gardening last year in tucson az. I built a raised bed that's at least a good 8" high and planted a bunch of stuff from tomatoes to cucumbers to strawberries. Everything grew huge and did really well. During winter, I cleaned out the soil bed, put compost in, and tilled.

Come this year, I planted about a month earlier (since now everything was built) and got another set of tomatoes, bell peppers, cucumbers, and green beans. But unlike last year, nothing is growing well... The tomatoes did ok until about a monthish ago and then started losing branch after branch. The cucumber is still tiny and hasn't produced a single thing. And the bell peppers seem ok for awhile, then one day they're wilted and won't come back. I've gone through 4 this year...

I don't think it's water... I set up an irrigation system and water twice a day (morning and evening) for 30 min each. I suppose it could be... But I did the same watering last year and everything grew huge! Soil is part from last year mixed with new soil, compost and fertilizer this year.

I just don't understand what I'm doing wrong this year (having more experience now!) that I didn't do last year. Does anyone have recommendations? Should I pull everything out and start over with new plants and soil?

Thanks!

Comment (1)