SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dlmill_gw

Composition/combination of foundation bed

dlmill
14 years ago

Hi! I posted this on the shrubs forum, but I'm not really getting much feedback over there, so I thought I'd try this forum, since there seems to be a lot more sharing of ideas here.

I'm hoping that you all can help me choose the most succesful combination of shrubs for my foundation planting. I've got some favorites chosen, but some of them I have not been able to see in person. So, I'm having trouble deciding if my choices will go well together.

Here are the plants I really want, but I'm not sure they go well together:

- Wine and Roses Weigela (have 1 growing nicely)

-Midnight Wine Weigela

- Little Lamb Hydrangea (have not seen this in person, but did like Limelight. Would prefer Little Lamb's smaller size and bloom appearance.)

- Black Lace Sambuca (Love the foliage, but worried it may not get enough sun if located on the north side of the house)

- Artic Fire Dogwood (Love the dwarf size and red stems for winter interest)

- Boxwood (For an evergreen presence. Possibly green mountain)

- A few rose bushes (likely Iceberg, Snowdrift, or Moondance and maybe a red or two as well)

Here are some alternatives I'm considering:

- A dwarf/mini variety of pine (I thought it was mugo, but may not be. I was told at the nursery that it would get about 3 feet tall.)

- Some sort of barberry (for evergreen)

- Virburnum

- Dwarf double mock orange (I think the one I liked was called snowbelle?)

- Ninebark coppertina or diablo (which I've been told on the shrub forum will likely get too wide for a max 7-foot bed)

Here's the important background info:

- The foundation planting bed spans from front of the house (facing east) to the side (facing north). The bed has curves and is 4 feet wide at its smallest point and 7.5 feet it its widest.

- We live in Colorado, zone 5, so everything must be able to withstand cold, snow, winds, and late freezes. Some winter interest plants would be nice.

- In the foundation bed and the rest of the front yard beds, I'm looking for mostly white flowers and some plants with dark or red foliage. The house color is a tan/beige stucco, and we have a streetlamp in our yard that nicely illuminates white flowers.

- The bed is lined by a patio and a walkway, so frangrance would be nice, but is not necessary.

- The soil is fairly average sandy loam, fairly well-draining, and alkaline. I will add amendments to make the soil richer and possibly more toward neutral pH.

- There will also be perennials and annuals in the bed, but I want to get the shrub selection taken take of first, since that seems to be the most structural piece (other than the hardscaping, which is already done).

- There are also a few small island beds in the yard, where I would like to plant a shrub or two to tie-in the foundation planting to the bed/rest of the yard.

Sorry to make this so long, but I am way too analytical and I really want to think this through. I want to be happy with this decision for the several (or more) years we will be in this house. Thanks in advance!

Comments (3)