SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
margocostas

Why peat pots?!?!

margocostas
15 years ago

I got a variety of accouterments when I started trying to grow my own from seeds this year. I have tried 72 cell flats filled with various seed mixes, sprouting seeds in medium and transplanting them n various devices.

The cells with either burpee mix, or coir did the best. I had mixed results getting them out of those but most made it. The peat pellets are a pain and not worth it to me. I may not even use them up, I think I will rehydrate them and use to mix with other soil, a little peat is OK sometimes. They would turn sideways in the cell and swell quickly so you could not right them. Then they would stay hard and dry without considerable poking. Really, just filling cells with your favorite mixture is a lot easier.

I tried the peat cells with netting, from jiffy, and a lot of my zinnias did not even germiante. I think they stay too wet and compact. The netting is very easy to rip off when planting and my zinnias that managed to sprout are doing good now. I suspect it's because they can excape that peat clod, the ones that germanated remained stunted.

The sprouts that were put in a tray and germinated in coir, then gently put in small (about 4 inch) pots seemed to do the best.

I put some in peat pots filled with coir/potting mix (like the ones above) and when it came time to transplant them I had to tear the peat off the roots. I guess I didn't really have to remove it but I've heard so much about roots being contained in peat pots that I did.

The plants seem to do ok so far. from now on I am using dixie cups or small pots.

Peat is really some crappy stuff. It gets dry by surprize, then pretends it's getting wet, yet remain dry on the inside.

When it's wet enough it holds the moisture enough to still feel soggy, the day before all of a sudden it's dry!!!! You get rot and drought all at once!!! It's a paradox!

The coir has been working great for me. Too expensive to mix into a large container but I top dress around small plants when I put them in the garden and it really seems to help me maintain a consistant level of hydration while they get bigger. I can actually tell how dry a plant is so I can allow for extra drainage as well. I just did that to some of my small pepper plants. I think I have been keeping them too wet so I let them dry out a little more this time. The soil rehydrated easily when it was time to water again. It doesn't get soggy either. These ones are the ones in small pots. I put garden or planting soil in the pot but use coir to "tuck" it in, so it will easily have adjusted to it's next planting.

I have been getting good coir so far I gather. I have heard that it's possible to get a bad batch with too much salt. I wonder how you can tell the quailty of the coir you get?

Comments (21)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!