SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
2ajsmama

Another rhubarb thread

2ajsmama
9 years ago

I checked out my cousin's garden again today (she's still away), found the rhubarb growing very close to garage, between it and small polycarbonate GH. 1 plant is huge, but I'm going to wait until I have strawberries to cut the stalks (also would be nice to wait until she gets back for the summer!).

But I'm wondering, how close to a building this should be? I remember growing up my great-aunt who lived on the farm had her rhubarb patch on the other side of the driveway from the house, not within 3ft of any building (not that I think it's like a tree and will damage the foundation, but I know they get huge leaves and spread). How much sun do they need? When's the best time to transplant?

Now that her dad has died and she's newly single (happened all last summer, poor lady), she doesn't need and can't manage a large garden so we can transplant the rhubarb out more in the open where they had grown the annuals like beans, tomatoes, etc. The chickenwire fence is falling down (need new posts, wooden ones rotting out) - will deer eat rhubarb?

I'd like to start a strawberry bed for her too, though those might be better to try to grow in gutters so she doesn't have to bend over (she's in her 70's).

Comments (5)