SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zeckron

DIY Grow Bags

zeckron
16 years ago

After much reading IÂve decided on trying out some root pruning air pots (the kind that exposes the roots to air to increase root ramification). However, the ole checkbook nixed that idea right out of my hair. Not enough funds (those pots are expensive for the quantity I need!).

So after reading about some of the information on commercial grow-bags made of felt-like material I began wondering about a DIY approach.

The commercial grow-bags use a similar technique to partially prune roots. The felt bags in which the trees are planted are buried. The felt catches wandering roots so they donÂt circle inside like a normal plastic or clay pot, but restricts root growth so that only a very small feeder root may penetrate into the surrounding soil. This constriction of the root tip promotes ramification and aids in transplanting.

So hereÂs my idea that utilizes elements of BOTH methods:

Make a DIY felt bag to be grown above ground.

In theory you could get the benefits of air pruning, still have the flexibility of being able to bury them if the need arises, and not take a huge chunk out of the checkbook.

IÂm sure someone else has come up with this and tried it before. Does anyone have some info on this? Would thick felt from a local fabric store suffice if sewn up properly? Would normal felt disintegrate or rot under wet conditions or if buried in the ground?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

-Brandon.

Comments (19)