SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anney_gw

Let's hear it for lettuce in this weather!

anney
14 years ago

It may be cold or cool and rainy for many of us, but in my neck of the woods, the cool weather crops are thriving in it! A couple of pictures here taken on this overcast morning.

My onions and lettuce are growing like weeds. The lettuce is getting long in the tooth as you can see, but none of it has bolted yet. This picture was taken before I harvested much of it. And I thought four containers wouldn't be enough lettuce! There is leaf and romaine lettuce in the mix, though I think that I'll plant all the same kind in a container next year. The Merlot doesn't grow as tall as the other varieties and struggles for light at this stage.

{{gwi:49049}}

Sorry for the lettuce-blur. It picked up the onions just fine! For the really tall lettuce, I harvested the lower leaves and broke the stalk off that has newer growth. I think it will last longer refrigerated still on the stalk.

My two container New Big Dwarf tomatoes and a couple of pepper plants may not be happy about the cool weather but they're still growing. Oregano is barely showing on the right of the tomatoes, and that's a bush cucumber plant on the left of the peppers. The tomatoes are putting out blossoms that fall off, so I just let them be. The peppers haven't flowered yet.

{{gwi:49050}}

======

I guess my point is if the veggies you want MOST to hurry up and produce are stuttering because of the weather, there are usually others that are just fine. And beautiful, to boot!

Comments (4)