SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
reslider_gw

turning grass/weed plot into usable garden

reslider
15 years ago

Our house is located on 2.6 acres of woods and mostly unusable overgrown areas. The back of the house has a view of this area, so we'd like to plant a garden there. The area that we have chosen is typically overun with weeds and grasses and borders the woods. It will proabably be about 20' x 20'. The area is full sun and the soil has a very high sand content. I know it's good for growing plants, I have a few pumpkin plants in there now and an old overgrown raspberry patch but the weeds are killer, esp. poison ivy.

How do we convert this area into a usuable space for a flower and bulb garden? After reading the forum about gardening mistakes, I'd like to do this correctly and am in no rush. My plan is to mow the area, spray with weed killer, and cover it with weighted down weed mat from fall to spring. Come spring, the plan is to remove the mat and dead weeds, mix in compost, plant bulbs & mulch.

Does this sound like a good plan? Any extra steps I should take? Special products to use? Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'd hate to waste the seeds/bulbs.

Comments (2)