SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cjra_gw

Grass or mulch along fence line?

cjra
15 years ago

We have an ugly chain link fence on our corner lot.

On the inside of the fence, I've made a mulch border about 1.5ft wide (wider in some places) which has various xeriscape plants, and under the large crepe myrtles are purple hearts. I've spaced them out with the outside vines/creepers alternating, hoping they'll still get enough sun as they grow larger.

On the outside, I have a trumpet vine, turk's cap, coral honeysuckle and passion vine along the side which will hopefully cover up the fence eventually(taking it out is not an option right now). I've just made a small semi-circle with mulch and bricks for a border.

I'm finally trying to clean that up. Should I do the same mulch 1.5ft wide border all along with more plants on the outside as well? Or should I let the grass fill in?

I've got some pictures on my blog (see link below). The first is the outside, where I just filled in some dirt into what was a ditch. The city threw some Bermuda down when they ran out of the St. Augustine, after putting in sidewalks. Next week I'll be laying some Bermuda sod in the front lawn, and am sure to have some left over. Should I use it along the outside fence? My only worry is that the fence isn't a good barrier, and the grass will creep inside in no time.

Also, what's the easiest way to make a border? At the moment I've got mostly bricks, which I've just used because we happened to have about a million in our yard left by the previous owners. But I'm out of them. Ideally I'd have the same material everywhere for a border, but at the moment am being cheap.

Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Border Fence

Comment (1)