SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joshtp

Retaining wall against front of townhouse

joshtp
15 years ago

Hello,

I am new to GardenWeb and have also just recently bought our first house! While I love the place, I'd like to do something with the front yard. Here is a photo of the front:

{{gwi:40785}}

What I was thinking about doing is tearing out those two bushes (the one on the right has already been hacked in half before we bought it) and building a small gravity retaining wall and planting some smaller bushes and flowers in the resulting bed.

What I would like is any advice on construction materials and layout. Right now I am mostly looking into the engineered wall block, like Belgard or Tech-Bloc, though I would love dry-stacked flagstone if not for the higher cost.

In particular I would like advice on how to handle the slight slope away from and to the side of the house. You can't see it very well in the picture, but there's some erosion under the steps and stoop that I need to backfill and hide. I would also like to hide the ugly white PVC sewer clean out pipe. Barely visible on the left in the picture is a small 4x4 retaining wall separating the two townhouses, and I'm not sure whether I should try and build the whole wall to the height of the pipe all the way over (building up the adjacent retaining wall, if the neighbor and HOA will let me), or if I should some how step it down, essentially dividing the wall in half.

I would also like to have a mini-wall on the other side of the stoop, though that section would only be 3 feet or so.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!

Comments (6)