SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carmwhit

planting seeds before thunderstorm, covering?

12 years ago

I just returned to Illinois from college and am in charge of my family's vegetable garden. I haven't been able to plant yet, because my college is hundreds of miles away. I want to plant soon because it's already a bit late in the season. I've been waiting for my soil to dry after several rainy days, and I'm planning on planting tomorrow because the soil will be relatively dry and I need to plant soon. However, I'm concerned because there are thunderstorms scheduled for this coming week and I don't want my newly planted seeds to wash away! I don't want to wait another week to plant though, because then it will be even later.

None of the seeds that I am planting need light to germinate. I was toying with covering the newly planted seeds with staked black garbage bags to protect them from heavy rains. I would remove these bags when it is not downpouring, and as soon as the seeds germinate. Do you think this would work? Or would it encourage seed rot?

Thank you so much! This is the first year that I am in charge of the whole garden and I really don't want to mess it up!

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting