SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chemocurl

bubble envys now 80 cents-print out for 'your' Post Office!

Below is a copy of the email that was sent out to the Consumer Affairs Managers across the country on 3-12-08. It addresses the problem of many Post Offices charging (overcharging) Parcel Rate ($1.13 for the first ounce,) when it is actually in a lot of or most instances, a Large Envelope (80 cents for the first ounce.).

Feel free to print this post, and present it to your PO if you feel you are still being incorrectly charged. Additionally, click on the link in the email, and print that as well. Scroll down to First Class Mail Quick Tips and see where it addresses padded bags (e.g., ReadyPost "cushion mailer")_________________________________________________________________________

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Consumer Affairs Managers, I need your help in reminding all Post Offices of the proper charging of padded bags. The confusion is~~~when is a padded bag a small package versus a large envelope?

Postal Bulletin 22218, dated October 25, 2007

Bulletin 2218 clearly states: For padded bags (e.g., ReadyPost® "cushion mailer"), when the thickness is 3/4" or less and the item is flat-size and somewhat flexible, the item should be classified and priced as a large envelope.

We've been asked by a nationwide organization to send out an "Official Communication". Their group send small quantities of specialized seeds; quantities so small that there is NO bunching of the bubble bags, keeping them flat. The majority of their members are incorrectly being charged the FC package rate of $1.13 instead of the FC Large Envelope Rate of 80 cents.

We've sent this up through the channels to HQ to get a reminder out in "Let's Talk Retail". However in the interim; as faster solution, I'm sending it out to you for immediate action. Again, please send this on to the Post Offices in your District as a reminder!

Cathy Snyder, Consumer Affairs Manager

United States Postal Service

Louisville Ky 40231-9631

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Additionally Cathy emailed me this along with the info posted above.

Sue,

Here is what went out to the Consumer Affairs Managers across the country. Hopefully this will take care of the problem.

If Garden Web continues to see this happen, please email me those incidents. I will personally get with the Postmaster/Manager of those offices to help educate their staff of their misinterpretation of the regulations.

I'm truly sorry for the inconvenience this has caused you and the other folks in your association.

Cathy

So if all goes as planned, all Post Offices will be informed of the correct charges before too long. I have no idea how long it might take to get this information down to each and every postmaster and then to all of the window employees. In the interim, I suggest you just print this out, and take it to the Post Office when you are mailing bubble envelopes.

The information several of you provided, and a few investigative phone calls really got the ball rolling. A little bubble envy from lisa_h that had been overcharged, was the initial proof I had in my hand that there was a problem. Thank you all for all the info you have contributed to the postage problem threads over the past several months. It helped so much to see that the problem was nationwide.

I'd like to add here, that if it weren't for my wonderful postmaster in Scottsburg Indiana, Linda in Consumer Affairs in Louisville, as well as Cathy (Consumer Affairs Manager), this much needed information would not likely have ever been shared on a nation wide basis. They are surely 3 wonderful employees that will do whatever it takes to get the job done correctly. They took the time to hear me out, and work with me on getting this problem solved for so many of us seed junkies.

Hats off to all 3 of them for a job well done!

Do you suppose we ought to all send them some freebie seeds? What better Thank You could we ever give them?

Sue

Comments (55)

Sponsored