SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
glchen

Earthworms in Reused Container Mix - Looming Disaster?

glchen
14 years ago

First year gardener. I am wrapping up some of my summer crop of tomatoes and other vegetables, and am potting up my "fall" crop of tomatoes, peppers and snow peas into containers (some SWC, some not). For me, to save money, I am basically re-using my old mixes. Basically, I removed the old tomato or other plant from their container, and then dumped the mix into a bucket. I try to break apart the mix even though there are still some root material left from the old plant. Then I put the mix back into the pot, along with some fertilizer and some fresh potting mix (along with the plant). The original re-used mix was typically Miracle Grow Potting Mix.

First question is whether anyone has tried to do something similar to this, and how has it worked out?

The other thing is as I was adding the old mix back to the pot, I noticed some small earthworms in the mix. I have no idea how they got there since I never put any earthworms in the pots. The only things that I can think of is that they were windblown into the pots (like how my water fountains somehow end up w/ earthworms) or they entered through the drip holes in the pots since some of the pots I put on the ground.

The question I have here is whether this situation is good or bad? I've read that earthworms can add nutrients and aeration, which is good. However, I've also read that they are bad in pots because they have no place to escape and can get really huge and cause problems. The ones that I saw weren't huge, but not tiny either, say 3-4 inches long and the size of an ethernet cable.

Thanks!

Gary

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH