SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
_philosopher_

need ideas for this fence (images inside)

philosopher
14 years ago

Hi all--

OK, we got a new privacy fence between our house and the neighbors. It is a big 'un--an 8 footer. (They have a hot tub--enuf said.) Now I am looking for some ideas for plants in the strip between the fence and the driveway. The area is high sun with additional reflectivity off of the driveway. It is probably Zone 6b b/c of the protected area, but it will be piled with snow from our driveway in the winter months, so I am concerned about root rot and other issues, too.

Here are some of my ideas:

- easpaliered climbing roses. What will be pretty and overwinter too?

- mass planting of dahlias. (I've never worked with dahlias and don't know if they are easy to overwinter. Don't want to take it on if it's gonna be a headache.)

- Tall perennials, like aster tataricus "jindai", buddleia, sylphium, etc. Sort of a butterfly garden. I had that before with a slightly lower privacy fence, and I think it looked a little too wild for my taste. But maybe I could really plan and make it look tidier?

- Tall annuals. This idea really appeals to me, but the annuals would have to be able to be upright on their own. I do not want to deal with sunflowers flopping into the driveway.

Here is a snappy of the location. Note that the garage door is going to be replaced this summer--the paint job was an (admittedly poor) attempt to mask an ugly garage door, plus handle the really ugly terminal driveway issue:

{{gwi:39889}}

Also, so you get a sense of the casual nature of the garden layout in general, here is a snappy of the front yard. Sorry I can't figure out how to get the white balance to work on my camera:

{{gwi:39890}}

It is basically a mix of low lying perennials and groundcovers. It is a nice effect. I will post better snappies when the light is better.

I would love your thoughts. Thank you!

Comments (16)