SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
izumidai

noob questions for raised bed farming

izumidai
13 years ago

Hello,

I live right outside of Philadelphia and I just put in 2 raised beds and I am looking forward to getting into serious vegetable gardening this year. One bed is 20'x5' and the other is 10'x5'. Both are 1' high. I have seeds for carrots, beets, chard, lettuce, squash, cucumbers, bell peppers and eggplants. I am planning to start seeding within the next week or two. I am also planning on tomatoes, but I was curious as to what other things I should be thinking about. Any suggestions on good beginner veggies (fyi, I do herbs in seperate containers).

My main question (which is probably a dumb one) is what do I have to do to get veggies on a rolling basis? Is this as simple as just staggering planting the seeds so that plants hit harvest at different times. Can I just put a row of lettuce in and then wait 2 weeks and put another row in and continue with this approach? Also, do certain plants just continue to produce veggies so that there is no need to stagger?

I would appreciate if anyone has any book or website recomendations that provide a solid overview of veggie farming. I am a city kid who has know idea what I am getting into, but I am determined to learn everything I can.

Thanks,

Kevin

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting