SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sunnibel7

Tomatillo and Ground Cherry question

sunnibel7 Md 7
15 years ago

Okay, I have had tomatillos in my garden the past 2 years, and this year will be the first year that I try ground cherries. I'm still learning the quirks of the tomatillos, but one thing I noticed is that they seems like they might be sensitive to shortening day length. Mine sit loaded with flowers for over a month, with nary a fruit setting (and pollination is fine in the garden otherwise)and then suddenly one day they are loaded with little lanterns. This sort of totally blows the "days to maturation" right out of the water. Does this happen with anyone else's tomatillos?

And my next question is do ground cherries exhibit the same behavior? Or do they act more like a... I don't know, a squash or pepper; flowering, and setting fruit in a continuum? The reason I ask is that I can start the seeds now or later, depending on whether they will set fruit as soon as they start flowering or at some later, mysterious (to me) date. Oh, and I suppose that the non-fruit-setting could be a temperature thing too...

So, what do you guys think??

Sunni

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!