SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annewaldron_gw

Fertilizer on herbs?

annewaldron
18 years ago

Okay, I fear I'm going to get an "it's all about the soil/drainage" reply to this post, but my container-grown herbs more or less just don't look all that great. I have a bunch: basil, parsley, oregano, thyme, dill, cilantro.

- Basil used to look good, but then it got woody. I chopped it back and it just looks terrible now! Yellow-green looking leaves with blemishes on them..

- Parsley actually looks OK but I haven't had a lot of new growth lately and the leaves aren't exactly the rich dark green color they used to be...

- I overwatered the english thyme and it went woody, now it looks terrible and doesn't seem to have a lot of new growth

- the silver thyme has got dark spots on the underside of all the leaves and just looks generally unhappy

- cilantro immediately bolted, so I'm letting it go to seed

- the others are too new to look bad, but I'm sure they'll go downhill eventually too!

I potted in nursery bought potting soil. I've added wicks to the shallower pots. I've learned not to water so much and have been letting them get a bit dry between waterings.

What next? Fertilizer?

sigh....

Anne

Comments (10)