SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
doriswk

Overwintering Strawberry Pot in Zone 5

doriswk
12 years ago

this year I have a beautiful terracotta strawberry pot going, it contains strawberry plants, hens and chicks and other sedums. With the temperatures dropping, we will reach freezing temperatures in a few weeks and I don't quite know how to offer optimum protection for the terracotta pot as well as the plants. Some people suggest to bring the whole thing into the garage. When should I do this? If I bring the pot and plants inside in September, they will probably have to stay there until May when it does not freeze any more at night. This is a long period; would I have to water the plants in the pot now and then? Or would the plants be healthier if I remove them from the pot in the fall ( when exactly?) and plant them in the garden? Then replant in spring? I would rather not go through this exercise, if option one works just as well. However, if someone out there convinces me that fresh soil is required every year, well then, I may as well remove the plats now...

I tried to include a pic, but I keep getting a systems error message every time I try uploading to the garden gallery...

Thanks in advance for your advise!

Comments (9)