SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melle_sacto_gw

Question about creating a site plan (assessing grade)

Hi--I mostly lurk here, occasionally post or comment. I hope my question is appropriate for this forum.

Our home sits on a small hill that drops down fairly steeply near the property line/street. The portion of the backyard along the property line/street is fenced by a 6' fence, but because of the hill and drop off we have almost no privacy b/c, from the street, people can see into the yard almost the entire length of the yard. It is also a maintenance nightmare due to the grade, so beyond planting two shade trees it's pretty wild and unmaintained. This is the largest part of the backyard as well.

We want to have a 2-3' cinder brick retaining wall built to allow the grade to be leveled, re-build the fence on top for privacy, and it will be three feet in from the property line instead of right along the property line as it currently sits (for permit and aesthetic reasons).

I've spoken with the country, and they advised me to put together a site plan w/the height of retaining wall, height of the amount of dirt that will be retained, height of fence, etc. They will look at the plan and determine what type of building permit we need and cost, etc.

What I would like to know is how to determine how tall the retaining wall should be and how much dirt it will retain. It needs to be tall enough and retain enough dirt that the grade in the yard will be approximately level (with a very slight slope down toward the property line). I'm guessing I have to measure the current grade angle with respect to the house foundation, but I'm not sure how to go about doing that.

Thanks for any help!

Melanie

Comments (3)