SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tumblingtomatoes

Farmerdilla -cream of saskatchewan or white watermelons for kids

tumblingtomatoes
15 years ago

Hi I have a question for Farmerdilla since I saw a post that you grow Cream of Saskatchewan watermelons when I was searching for some info or posts on that variety - or anyone else who is familiar with any of the white fleshed varieties.....

We're still beginners here but the kids are fascinated with the white fleshed varieties of watermelons we've seen in catalogs this year. We're hoping to try one but there are several types we've seen to choose from like the Cream of Saskatchewan, White Wonder, CS White Fleshed, White Sugar Lump & Japanese White fleshed Suka (I think that's the names anyway). We're in FLorida, Space Coast/Central FL area with a small garden. We're looking for something fairly easy to grow to start out with & smaller sized, nice flavor for kids.

Any suggestions would be great! I read that the Cream of Saskatchewan has such delicate, thin rinds & cracks easily, does it? Do all white fleshed watermelons? Any tips or advice for beginners?

Any info/suggestions on these would be greatly appreciated (As well as any suggestions on tasty, easy to grow/care for, productive smaller melons (Cantaloupe, muskmelon, honeydew types, or Asian melons as well) of any type that might do well in our heat & humidity -we love melons!!!!

I've posted a similar message in the Florida forum so hopefully between the two posts, we'll get some good info.

Thanks!

Comments (2)

• farmerdilla
    15 years ago

Cream of Saskatchewan is an icebox size melon. averges about 10 lbs. I grew White Sugar lump years ago when it was a Henry Fields exclusive. I can't tell the difference between the two. Have grown the CS White fleshed which is virtually identical to the old Willhite's Yellow Fleshed Black Diamond. Pale Yellow, but not enough to really be considered a white. 25 lb class. White wWonder, I have not grown, but its desciption sounds like one of the parents of Yellow Doll. Very pale ( closest to white flesh), softball size and very brittle. Cream of Saskatchewan will stand normal handling, stands up better than Orangeglo. But if yoou drop it from a height of more than 6 inches it will break. It is not one of those that you can roll off the back of a truck and have it bounce.
    White Fleshed Suka is a new name to me. Have not encountered it.
    {{gwi:46093}}
    {{gwi:46094}}

• tumblingtomatoes
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Excellent info & beautiful pictures! Thanks for sharing the info, the size sounds perfect for our kids' garden, small, not too big & I think we're going to give it a try! Thanks for the info & for a quick reply, have a great afternoon! :)