SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fourstringdrums

Put edging around this border planting or leave as is?

fourstringdrums
14 years ago

I recently had some PJM Rhododendron and a mulch bed put along the property line on the side of my house dividing myself from a neighbor who never takes care of his lawn and over the years it was becoming harder and harder to see whose lawn was where.

I have been debating about whether or not I should put some sort of edging either around the whole rectangular bed, or just on my side of the bed, or not at all. If I did, I would probably use those grey interlocking 12x4x4 bricks as I used them around the mulch beds around the house and think symmetry would be the best way to go.

I'm trying to mix stone edging with spade edging around my property, but my reason for wanting stone edging here is because it's 105' long and I don't have the energy or time to spade edge that much every year. Around trees, fine, but not a long a border like this, especially when I have a hard time keeping them straight (hence why the edging bricks around the rest of the house) *lol*

Here are a few pictures. Even though the mulch bed is a few inches away from my property line, I won't be edging on the neighbor's side of the bed, so if I put edging all around including his side, it would be to deter any growth going into the mulch bed. Either that or just pulling weeds here and there. Even if I did edge, the lawn is so lousy the edge would never look good anyway.

Opinions? I should add that him and I have already discussed all of this, and property lines/boundaries are not an issue. When I say the edging would be on his side of the property, I mean "on that side of the plantings" only. The edging would still be on my property away from the line.

{{gwi:38150}}

{{gwi:38151}}

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!