SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mensplace

perennial vegetables & herbs: cuttings, roots, seeds

mensplace
14 years ago

After getting disgusted with spending 200,000.00 during the past few months, on heart cath, two strokes, and FINALLY, Forestiers Disease, at 60 I just plain am fed up paying a fortune for ridiculous rehab. SO, fo my own common sense rehab/econ program I have arranged for some raised beds of wheat hay, well filled with good compost. This should give me plenty of easy stretching using hand tools...just can't do the big tiller route anymore...so this should be a GREAT discipline. Any hope of some perennial roots or seeds? Here it seems all the horseradish is pencil sized and dried up, as is the rhubarb, asparagus, etc., in the nurseries and super stores. Am already experimenting with potatoes under straw (LOVE new potatoes) and something like dedicating bale beds to separate crops. Too, NOT growing those items that cost nothing in a grocery or require HUGE space for little return. Southern veggies are readily available, but the traditional northern ones outlandish in price. Will be looking for some south American tubers. Suggestions always welcomed for perrenial eatables and even interesting veggies for the wife and I. Like many, after a loss of 40% of the IRA we have to do something! Actually, the gardening is also great for the psyche...it's getting me OUTSIDE and in the sun. mensplace@bellsouth.net

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH