SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
suze9

Wicking questions - very large pots, tomatoes

suze9
18 years ago

I plant indet tomato plants in very large plastic containers each year. The containers I use can hold approx. 30 gal potting mix (though I generally only fill them with about 20 gal or so). Also, I mulch with several inches of straw mulch and hardwire large cages inside the containers.

The potting mix I use is mostly ProMix with a little bonemeal and some extra perlite thrown in. Overall, this set up works rather well for me -- in those size containers, the plants get huge and I don't have to water every day (straw mulch helps a bunch as well). Also, the weight of the containers provides much needed ballast with the high winds here and such.

Now onto the questions -- I think I might like to add wicks to the pots, especially early on in the season when the plants are small. But, my understanding is that the wicks need to actually dangle downwards from the bottoms of the pots. Is this correct? It really wouldn't be practical to elevate these large pots and they wouldn't be as stable if I did so.

Can I just just drill a hole in the side of the pots a couple of inches from the bottom and insert the wick there? Or could it just be inserted in one of the multiple drain holes at the very bottom of the pot and just allowed to lay on the ground?

Thanks for any help or clarification on how I should go about this. Thanks.

Comments (5)