SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joslin99

Desperate for solution to grading issues

joslin99
13 years ago

We have a side yard that is 40w x 100d rectangle abutting our home. The rearmost 15ft (40w x 15d) is sitting on rock ledge and is 3 feet higher than the rest, the other 40w x 80d slopes up 1 foot from the front to the back and two feet from right (house) to left (neighbor). So if I am standing at the front right corner of the yard the back left corner is actually 4 feet higher than I am. The house is at the lowest point.

We can't figure out what to do to make it level enough to live with and use as a yard. People have come out to give us estimates on "grading" but DH just pounded in some stakes to determine exactly how much dirt was at the high point to be scraped off, and at some points there is only 4 or so inches of dirt- so no 4 feet of anything to remove. Just 4 inches of soil and then big giant rock. I am freaked out at the thought of them just starting to dig and digging up the boulders since the foundation for my house is maybe 2 feet away from here and I wouldn't want to disturb anything.

We were thinking that instead of digging out we could maybe raise the level of the low section (40w x 80d) and use a small retaining wall along the front. This would put our basement windows below grade and I am not sure this is kosher either. At the front of the house there is about 24 inches of foundation above grade and about 7 inches at the back (where we wouldn't be adding anything)

help.

Comments (5)