SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wlsworker

Chicory greens RE: High Nitrate Concentration

wlsworker
16 years ago

Hi,

My name is Josh. I live in the Portland, Oregon area. I have not posted here in a few years, so I hope things have not changed too much.

Recently, I joined a local community garden. My garden plot is about 15' by 15'. I am mostly planting greens right now, but will plant different things later in the season.

My question is regarding chicory. I am not sure where I read it, but I read that chicory can absorb and store dangerous concentrations of nitrates, making them pretty much toxic to consume. Apparently, chicory must be grown in soil that is not enriched to avoid the nitrate problem.

I bought some some "Dandelion Chicory" starts and some "Serrated Leaf Chicory" seeds. I have already planted the dandelion chicory, but I have yet to start the seeds. One potential problem is my entire garden bed was covered in about two inches of compost. For the spot I planted the dandelion chicory, I raked as much of the compost away as I could, but there was still some there, and I needed to use some in the planting hole, as the topsoil was difficult to work. Additionally, being that the surrounding garden space is covered in compost, won't the nitrogen in the compost leach into where the chicory is growing. Should I just dig them up, and grow them separately, in a pot, or something? If I do that, do I just pot it up in normal topsoil, or should I use sand or something? Is there anything else I can do to decrease the nitrates in the chicory?

I would really like to grow chicory, but if it is going to be inedible due to the nitrate concentration, there seems little point in growing it.

Thank you all for your help, Josh

Comments (6)