SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sryshti

Puddling Pathway -- Fix with Flower Bed?

sryshti
15 years ago

Generally, the front "lawn" (expanse of weeds eventually to be reclaimed) slopes towards the street, but there is a bit of a low spot right by the curve of the sidewalk. ItÂs no fun wading to get to the front door (though I welcome the rain considering the drought). Is it possible to design a bed that will improve the drainage of the concrete path leading up to our front door, or do I need to hire someone to redo the sidewalk and make the pathway raised? I am hoping to plant a pleasing bed of natives, perennials preferred (or self-seeding annuals), and create some "troughs" in between the plantings to get drainage away from the path (and the house!). Is this a dumb idea that will end up looking stupid, or might it work? Does anyone have pictures of suggestions? ItÂs only the vaguest sketch of an idea in my head.

Also what is the best way to prepare the bed? I have read that tilling might just stir up dormant weed seeds (of which there are certainly plenty in that lawn). But IÂd like to get some things planted this fall (during my meager Thanksgiving holiday in November) and IÂm concerned that it might not be enough time to do the mulch-over method. Advice sorely needed!

This is what it looks like (terrible, I know, but we just moved in and IÂm a first-time gardener, so please donÂt be too harsh):

{{gwi:36237}}

In the evening, looking at the house from the street.

{{gwi:36238}}

Right where it puddles. (Photo taken mid-day)

{{gwi:36239}}

From the house looking out at the street. (Photo taken mid-day)

{{gwi:36241}}

From the driveway looking at the path. (Photo taken mid-day)

Here is a link that might be useful: (Link to the pictures shown in the message)

Comments (3)