SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
markdpelhamny

Blossom End Rot (BER) and containerized tomatoes

markdpelhamny
15 years ago

Just a note on my continuing effort to grow tomatoes in 5g self-watering containers - I have Polfast (an early determinant) and bush/patio type indeterminant tomatoes in 5 gallon SWC filled with modified Al's mix as described in earlier posts. Both the Polfast and bush tomatoes are ripening but many of the first fruits have been affected by BER. A little research leads me to conclude that (1) I probably didn't add enough lime to the mix to counteract the acidity of the peat moss, and (2) watering with high-nitrogen MiracleGro was a mistake and I should have used something like MG Tomato or another lower-nitrogen fertilizer. I assume it's not uneven watering since the SWC has been quite effective.

I would be curious in the future to just use the 14:14:14 Osmocote CRF w/o supplemental fertilizing as well. I'm curious what others would recommend as a solution.

Here's what it looks like - this is a rather a small tomato from the bush plant - the remaining fruit on the plant is both larger and also doesn't appear to be affected by BER. I tossed the affected Polfast tomatoes before photographing.

{{gwi:44883}}

Comments (4)