SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cnid_gw

avoiding damage to tree roots

15 years ago

This is both a TREES question and a landscaping question, so I will post it on both forums. I had excavation done last year. The trench went beside and between various trees. In the process, the excavated soil was mounded on the lawn that covers the ground beside and between the trees. When the soil was returned to the trench, patches of lawn near the remaining trees were scraped away. These patches have not grown back even though the excavator did not dig down that far.. I want to turn that area into a garden (i.e., not have the lawn grow back, put in some perennials and a bench, a few stepping stones). I am going to put down landscape fabric and follow up with soil, mulch, plants, etc. So 2 questions:

Will I harm the trees surface roots if I pile on several inches (probably 6-8 inches) of soil, compost, etc. for my new bed? I wondered if I should do it in stages, a few inches at a time.

I donÂt want the lawn to invade my new beds, so I want to put plastic edging around the new garden area. However, I am concerned that digging down to put the edging in will further harm the trees surface roots. Does anyone have experience with this? I wanted to use 5 inch plastic edging but was wondering if 3 inch would do the job and be less likely to harm the surface roots.

Thanks for any help.

Comments (2)