SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fruitnut_gw

A fast way to start in-place melons

The last two years I've gotten melons up in 3-6 days very early using a double layer poly system. I plant the seed about one inch deep in dry soil. Cover that with black poly or weed barrier flat on the soil over the seeds. Cut a small hole for emergence if you want. Cover that with clear poly. Water by flooding under the poly. Mine are in furrows or level basins so this is easy.

After 3 days check regularly for emergence and remove the clear poly as emergence begins or cut a hole for emergence.

My seedless planted April 1 are up to a great stand with just the one watering. More water is not good especially for seedless.

Soil temperature ranged from 95 to 55F at one inch and air temperature ranged from 37 to 90F during germination.

Watermelons planted March 10 came up in 72 hrs by taking the further step of covering the melon hill with 3 inches foam insulation at night. This held nighttime soil temperature above 68F even when air temperatures fell below 40F.

The double poly flat on the ground keeps the soil moist and greatly increases soil temperature. This is a huge plus especially for seedless watermelon emergence where very warm soil and moist but not wet soil is critical.

Comments (4)