SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chuck60

Cabbage Transplants

chuck60
15 years ago

No doubt this has been addressed before. If so, please just point me to the correct threads.

It's too late for this spring, but I'd like to put out a fall garden including cabbage and Chinese cabbage, and I find that my technique for growing starts of these must be really poor. I've started both in plugs and four-packs, and I always get tiny thin threads which eventually fall over and then develop true leaves. I have assumed it was just insufficient light, but I've had them as close to my grow lights as I can get them to no avail. Is there a secret incantation involved? Perhaps it is just too little light, and I'll have an easier time with starts for the fall because I can grow them outside in the sunshine?

BTW, is my area "special" in having no plant sources for fall gardens? I probably wouldn't buy cabbage plants anyway because I'm cheap, and it bugs me to pay almost as much for a plant as I would for a nice head of cabbage! Chinese cabbage, maybe, sicne it costs more at the store. However, none of the usual sources sell for the fall garden.

Chuck

Comments (4)