SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chelone_gw

expanding plantings and naturalizing them

chelone
17 years ago

Our home sits on 2 3/4 acres on a very scenic road. The lot is "wooded" (read: overgrown pasture), with some nice, mature trees, but a lot of what I call "weed trees", saplings and older but with poor form. They tend to detract from the nicer specimens. AND, they're attaining a size that is beginning to shade perennial beds more than we'd like. It's time to thin them out. And I'm looking forward to it; we're on a threshold and I'm ready to cross it! Not all trees are worth saving. But we want to preserve the feel of woodlands and make the "selected" plantings sort of melt into the surrounding woods.

Trouble is, I would like to add some "choicer" understory plantings to the proposed thinned areas (which will still be partial shade, but more dappled). How to I do this, from a purely practical standpoint? I'm thinking of a Dogwood and some rhodos, Ilex verticillata... some flowering things, more natives.

Is it necessary to pull stumps of the felled trees? must ALL stumps be pulled? how do you determine what may remain to rot away and what must be yanked out to permit successful introduction of selected specimens? I tend to shy away from the "nuke the entire site from orbit" approach, but sometimes that's important. How do YOU determine how much and how extensive the "nuking" should be? Would some pictures help, or is my question basic enough that words suffice?

(I'm not good at searching. I was overwhelmed when I entered "naturalizing"... how do I refine it to extract what I want?)

Comments (12)