SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jludman

semi-raised bed for asparagus

13 years ago

I had my first veggie garden last year, so I'm a bit new to gardening. I took a flyer and bought 3 asparagus plants, since I see it's time to plant them and asparagus is delicious.

I grabbed some rocks from the woods and built up a 3'x6'x6" bed on the north side of my garden area so hopefully it'll get enough sun and not shade anything. I dug down about 6 inches more after I read that asparagus has deep roots. So if I don't dig any further I can fill 12 inches. The existing "soil" deep in my yard is construction fill. It is saturated with small-mid sized rocks, a big pain to dig in actually. I figured that's probably no better for the roots of my future asparagus than it is for my spade.

I was wondering what I should fill the bed with, and if it would help to go even deeper? I have 5 or 10 cubic feet of compost that's not quite ready yet, and I seem to have an ample supply of dirt from the woods. I have this woods dirt in suspension in a glass jar now. Once it settles I should be able to tell the composition of it.

There's supposed to be mild frost the next 2 nights, so I thought I would plant on Sunday. No frost in the 14 day report after that (hopefully none until November :P).

Comments (2)