SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
davestar_gw

Liquid fertilizer (Foliage-Pro) in SWC's

davestar
13 years ago

I decided to build some SWC's this year to grow some low maintenance tomatoes, peppers, and herbs. My setup is three 18 gal containers - one has a variety of herbs and the other two each have a pepper plant and a determinate tomato plant. I'm using Raybo's 3:2:1 mix.

Two weeks ago I got some Foliage-Pro and ProteKt for my plants' NPK and calcium needs. The labels say to dilute in 1 gallon of water, but since I didn't have a 1 gallon jug handy I decided to wing it. I knew each containers' reservoir holds ~3 gallons of water, so I figured I'd add 1/4 tsp of FP twice a week and 1/4 tsp of ProteKt 3 or 4 times a week to the reservoirs. At worst I'd be underfertilizing. Yesterday, however, I noticed that one of the tomato plants seemed to be exhibiting fertilizer burn, and one of the pepper plants was yellowing and curling (pics below).

I wouldn't have thought that my FP additions thus far would've caused fertilizer burn, but I flushed the reservoirs just in case. I also sprayed the plants with some homemade soap insecticide in case insects were causing the leaf curl issue.

Do my diagnoses seem correct? How should I rethink my SWC fertilizing in the future? Thanks.

{{gwi:42335}}

{{gwi:42336}}

Comments (6)